Monday, April 15, 2013

4/15/2013

Bonjour Ma Famille,
City Streets of Carcassonne

This week has been very...interesting.  Actually, this transfer has been altogether interesting.  I guess I'll skip the fluffy introduction and go straight to the climax of my week.  

(Disclaimer: Do not freak out.  We are fine.  Everything is good.)

Thursday night we prayed that we would have a miracle lesson the next day.  Let's just say that this prayer was not answered in a way that we could have ever preconceived.  We were randomly woken up at 4:00 AM (miracle #1) to a terrible, yet familiar smell... like when you are filling up a lawnmower or your car at Flying J.  You get the picture.  Our apartment was completely flooded in gas... a lot of gas.  In fact, it was not just us, the entire apartment building was filled.  We did everything that we could to try and solve the problem.  We opened up all of the windows, turned off the gas lines, worked with neighbors, etc.  Nothing seemed to work, though.  It was only getting worse.  By 8:00 AM, the carbon monoxide detector started going off (haha, not a good sign).  We obviously quickly left the building.  Through working with the mission office, we were able to get a government emergency employee to come and fix the problem.  It turns out that the guy who works in the garage next to our building knicked the gasline the day before and it had been going up and through our ventilation system.  But don't worry, the problem was fixed later that day and everything is aired-out now.  Cool part of the story (miracle #2), the guy who came to fix the gasline had a lot of questions and was super interested in the church.  We ended up teaching him an hour and a half lesson on the restortation.  It was awesome.  So there you go, God answers prayers in interesting ways, but I would definitely consider that the miracle lesson that we had prayed for.

Other than that, the week has been fairly uneventful (as if many things could be considered more eventful than that event).  Sister Fairchild is great.  She is a very good missionary but she has been sick a lot.  She is basically extremely allergic to...the world.  Perfume, all cleaning products, mold, dust, smoking, grass, basically any bad food allergy that you can think of, etc.  I have never seen anything like it, I feel really bad for her.  Because of it, she is sick a lot.  So besides the couple conferences that we went to (which were great), we were stuck in the apartment three days last week.  So, I read my scriptures, studied, and played the piano all week.  It's difficult, especially as a missionary, when you can't be out working with the people.  But, I'm still trying to stay productive.  I really am so blessed that I have been able to stay healthy throughout my mission, most of my companions have not been as lucky.  We're able to get things done here, but just at a slower pace.  I think God is trying to teach me compassion and patience.  If that is His objective, this is definitely the way to do it.

I really am loving my time here and am learning a lot.  A mission is such a wonderful thing.  I hope that you are doing well and I love you all!  Have a great week!

Je t'aime,

Soeur Alisa Hulme
The view from Alisa's window each morning.
















Sister Hulme and Sister Fairchild on the Train


At a Conference.


No comments:

Post a Comment