Monday, July 29, 2013

...and that's how "Random" became "Matthieu" and a potential investigator. 7/29/13


Bonjour Ma Famille,

It has been a great week, like always.  It was a little different, though-- lots of traveling.  We had an exchange in Nice.  Oh my gosh, talk about beautiful.  I absolutely loved it.  The exchange was wonderful but took a big chunk of time out of our week.  Lots and lots of trains (PS- I love how commonplace all of this stuff is getting.  "Oh yeah, I spent all week on a train."  I had never even been on a train before my mission, not to mention taking one along the coast of the Mediterranean for 16 hours.  "Oh yeah, I spent some time in Nice."  ...one of the most beautiful, visited places in the world.).  Ah, my mission is the best.
 Anyways, the rest of the week was spent working with members and contacting...like usual.  We have so many potentials it's not even funny.  The only problem is that everyone cancels our rendez-vous.  We'll have a week completely rempli (I think that's a word in English too...) with lessons and no one shows up.  Frustrating, but we're working on it.  Fortunately, most of them haven't fallen off the face of the earth and we are still keeping contact with them.  I think, for the most part, people don't understand the urgency and the importance of the message that we have planned to share with them.  It's true, everyone does things at their own timing.  But, if they truly knew what we were bringing them, they would be early to every rendez-vous and want to see us every day.  It's okay, we're working on it.  We have more set up for this week and can hopefully reschedule the other ones.

These potentials have been building up all transfer and I can just feel this companionship that we've opened being on the brink of exploding.  I don't know how to explain it, I can just feel it.  There are so many cool people that are going to turn into amis.  Haha, funny probably miracle of the week.  So we were walking and this guy ran up and contacted us.  He was kind of out of breath and seemed like he was in a hurry.  He demanded to see our bible.  We explained to him that it wasn't the bible, that it was the Book of Mormon.  He grabbed it, started skimming through it, and asked a question or two.  We gave a brief explanation of it and then he gave it back and asked for my bible.  When I handed my bible to him he flipped through the pages, said that he had a question about it, started asking all of these random questions, handed it back, and said that he had to go.  We left him with our card.  If that seemed really spiratic and confusing, that's because it was.  Honestly, I didn't understand most of what went on in that contact.  He left and Soeur Brimhall and I looked at each other really confused, laughed, shrugged our shoulders, and moved on.  It really was so strange.  The next day he called and asked if he could borrow our book.  I still didn't understand most of what he was saying but set up a time when we could give him one.  Literally, no idea what is going on.  He was actually saved as "Random" in the phone because we never caught his name.  So, we met him the next day at the church and gave him the book.  Turns out, he is completely normal.  Completely normal.  He's Catholic and just has a lot of questions.  He's currently reading the Book of Mormon, we're setting up a rendez-vous for later on this week, and he should be at church Sunday.  Still, even while writing this, I'm looking back on this experience with a confused, raised eyebrow look on my face because I'm not really sure what happened.  But, definitely could be a miracle.  Haha, and that's how "Random" became "Matthieu" and a potential investigator.  
Sister Hulme and Sister Brimhall at Zone Conference
Hmm, I found out this week that tons of French people eat cough drop type things as candy.  Odd.  I think it might be because it hurts thier throats to make all of the weird French sounds when they talk.  Maybe...just my guess.

So, that was my week.  It was wonderful, we got tons done.  Thank you for everything, love you all!

Je vous aime,
Soeur Alisa Hulme 


No comments:

Post a Comment