Tuesday, February 18, 2014

"The miracles…" 2/17/14

Bonjour Ma Famille,

My life is so fun, I love it.  So much stuff to do, there is never a dull moment.  In the last three weeks, there have only been TWO days (Sundays) that have been solely Soeur Stevens and me without any other sisters.  It's a little bit bizarre and sometimes makes me a little sad that I don't get to spend more time with my friend.  That's okay, I have come up with a solution...now I've printed a picture of Soeur Stevens and stuck it in my scriptures next to the picture of my family...because I almost see her as much as them.
After spending time last week in the city of Pao (a cool city down south surrounded by mountains with glaciers), we had an adventure up north in Limoges.  This city is beautiful and is known throughout the world as the City of Porcelaine.  All of the buildings and streets literally glitter!
The miracles...

Last week I had ported into this lady and taught her on an exchange, so we went to see her for the second lesson.  We knocked on her door and her sister opened and was not happy to see us, she said come back in 10 minutes.  We were with a member so we decided to do some porting for ten minutes!  And literally the second door we knocked on opened.  It was the cutest lady in the world who we are teaching next week, she's Armanian!  The member was SO excited.  Even better, there is an Armanian sister in our ward who is going to come to the lesson with us next week and she thinks that she knows her!  Isn't it incredible how God puts people in our paths?

Dominique accepted a baptismal date this week.

So the other day I was running and hurt my leg.  It was kind of not a big deal but then it got worse.  I woke up one morning after an exchange and literally couldn't walk.  I just had pulled a muscle or something, but I couldn't put any pressure on my right leg (kind of a necessity for walking).  So, we traveled a lot that day and everything worked out being fine, but I was really nervous for what I would do the next day on exchange.  We tend to walk...A LOT.  The next day, I woke up and my leg didn't hurt at all.  Throughout the day, I could tell that it was really tight and should have been in pain, but I didn't feel anything.  Such a miracle, that became even more evident as I came home that night.  As I took off my shoes and placed that foot on the floor, it immediately restarted with the pain felt the day before.  God really helped me be capable to do the work that He needed me to. (my leg is fine, don't stress)

We got a call from a lady this week who essentially told us that she had been taught by the sisters in the past, lost contact when she went on vacation, and wants to start meeting with us again.

We have the coolest new amie!  We contacted Lisha on the street and she came to church (this really nearly ever happens).  She is 19, is from China, and is studying here.  Haha, sound familiar?  Who knew I would be serving my mission in Asia while still getting to eat French bread?  Cool part, her parents and grandparents are Christians from China.  I'm no expert, but I don't think that is very common.  We are teaching her this week and are super excited. The Relief Society just adored her, it was the cutest.

I read a scripture this week that I really like.  I'm sorry I don't send spiritual thoughts more often, I just really feel like I would rather spend time telling you miracles.  Christ taught in stories and I find them inspirational, so there's my reasoning.  Anyways, we'll break the trend this week. In Alma 10:6, Amulek explains that at one point in his life he "knew concerning these things (the gospel), yet (he) would not know..."  I thought this was interesting because there are times when we know the teachings of the gospel, but they're not understood or embedded enough in our heart that we experience change because of it.  I'm really greatful that the gospel is not just an institution where action equals reward.  While it's true that when you keep the commandments you are blessed, I feel that the greatest blessing we receive is the change within ourselves.  The gospel is all about who we become through the things that we do.  I have seen this principle time and time again on my mission, including within myself.  While I still have a long ways to go, I can already see that I am a very different person than I was when I started, all because of the application of the gospel.  Isn't it amazing that Christ permits us to do this?

I love you all, have a fantastic week.  Thanks for all of the support.

Je vous aime,
Soeur Alisa Hulme

No comments:

Post a Comment