Monday, June 24, 2013

Father's Day Musical Number, "As Sisters in Zion"...wait, what? 6/16 & 6/24/2013

We were out of town last week, so we did not post her June 16th letter.   We posted both today, so please read on...you will not want to miss her report on Father's Day Sunday, it is hilarious.  



Bonjour Ma Famille,

So, guess who just got transferred to the ville with the one "real" Mexican restaurant that exists in our mission?  That's right, I live in Aix-en-Provence.  This must be some kind of joke?  Who lives in Aix-en-Provence?  My mission covers Southern France, I'm pretty sure that no transfer call could be disappointing.  But seriously, you're welcome Mom and Dad.  I have planned the most incredible trip for you when you pick me up...Lyon, Carcassonne, Provence, to be continued...

I actually leave tomorrow and will be stopping by Lyon on the way to pick up, yes, another brand new bleue.  I am training again, which is wonderful because I love it.  I feel like, in my last three transfers, I've covered a huge spectrum of things in the field....biggest city, smallest city, trio, duo, strong ward, struggling ward, being trained, training, opening a new companionship, etc.  How could we step that up more?  Oh yeah, we could have me whitewashing the sector with a new bleue.  This basically means that I will get off the train with a new missionary that speaks no French and is most likely shell-shocked with nothing but a map and keys to the appartment...if they remember to give me those things.  Wish me luck, I'm going into it blind.  Hope I can find the church.  At least I know where to find the Mexican food, we will survive.  I am so excited for this transfer.  Provence is absolutely gorgeous and I've been told that there is a very strong ward.  We are going to see miracles.

Our Bishop and is wife, love them so much!
Sensai and our eveque at our ward cultural activity
My time with Soeur Luthi and Carcassonne is done, I am so sad.  I love Soeur Luthi.  She is the absolute greatest, we got along so well.  She's one of those companions who will definitely be a lifelong friend.  It has been fun to train her and watch her grow.  She will see phenomenal things on her mission.  I feel so blessed to have gotten to serve with her, the Lord sent me one of His best.  Let's be quite honest, my time here in Carcassonne hasn't been the easiest.  There have been many times in the last three months that I would consider trials of my faith.  But, I love it here so much and definitely cried as I said goodbye to the ward on Sunday...half the ward was crying too (that didn't help).  Haha, they lost their pianist and American cookies.  It was especially hard to leave Sensai and our évêque.  Frère Martin (évêque), said that it has never been so hard to say goodbye to missionaries, that we are just like his daughters.  He cried when we told him over the phone.  He couldn't even talk to me, he had to take a day to compose himself.   It's amazing to me how I could fall in love with the people and the place so quickly.  I prayed for members in the ward daily, by name.  Here, most of our effort was focused on strengthening the ward.  I seriously feel like I left my whole heart and soul here.  My life has been changed because of people that I have met and worked with.  I am so blessed.  I cannot imagine my life without having served a mission.


Sister Hulme with Sister Luthi
Last funny note, guess what the closing hymn was this week?  I ended with a bang.  I'm the ward pianist, I can play what I want...I'm also tight with the évêque so he let me choose.  We sang "Angels We Have Heard on High".  That's right, Christmas in June.  So me.  I loved it.

I hope that you all have a wonderful week, I love you so much!  Thanks for all of the support and prayers.  I love my mission so much!

Je vous aime,
Soeur Alisa Hulme


















Bonjour Ma Famille,       7/16/2013

This week was great, like always.  I still love being a missionary.  We were in Aix-en-Provence for three days for a zone conference.  We had Elder Richards from the Seventy come, it was awesome.  He talked a lot about the Atonement, faith, and a new way of teaching.  Cool, three things that I need to work on.  That was perfect.  Our leaders truly are so inspired.  It was a beautiful city and we were able to find the one "real" Mexican restaurant that exists in our mission.  Yes, we would.  It was hilarious, there was a tutorial on how to eat a burrito on the menu.  What?  It's sad that that is necessary.

Honestly, I feel bad, but there is not a ton to report on this week.  Lots of contacting.  We still only have one ami, who just informed us that he is leaving for Northern France in a week and will be gone for two months.  So, the work continues.  We will find people, I know it.  Haha, at least my French is being stretched.  I had an indepth conversation with a muslim man about the conception of Christ and a rather long chat with another guy on the street about our church's opinion on same sex marraige.  Oh wow, interesting week.

Sunday this week was definitely my most insane one I've had yet.  I feel like I literally manned the entire ward.  Let me give you a timeframe... Piano in priesthood, spiritual thought in priesthood, piano in relief society, practice the song with the primary children for Father's Day, taught gospel doctrine (We taught about the word of wisdom and had a rather, hmm...interesting discussion with several ward members who are not exactly...in agreement with the law.  It's okay, it turned out well in the end...when we stopped calling on them for comments.), piano in sacrament meeting, gave a talk, special musical number (All of the women in the ward decided last minute that they wanted to sing a song for Father's Day too.  Cool, right?  Kind of, but there were two problems. 1: I literally had to throw the entire thing together during relief society. 2: They sang "As Sisters in Zion".  Wait, what?  I thought it was Father's Day.  That's awkward.), then there was the primary musical number (That went well, it was actually a song about fathers.), and we ended the day going to a meeting with all of the ward leaders to plan (from square one) the ward activity for this next Saturday (that has been planned and canceled three times in the last five months).  Yup, that's about it.

I am learning so much this transfer.  It has challenged my faith like nothing else.  We will keep working, we are here to do the most incredible work.  I love my mission.  I hope that you all have a wonderful week in Lake Powell.  I love you!


Je vous aime,
Soeur Alisa Hulme

No comments:

Post a Comment