Wednesday, May 28, 2014

"There is nothing like strengthening companionship unity than through performing lice treatments on the other person at 2 AM." 5/12/14

Bonjour Ma Famille,
Sis Hulme with Sis Pagano


It was so wonderful to get to talk to you on Sunday!  Let me tell you a bit about the week...

With our apartment becoming a hotel for all of the sisters coming in for exchanges, it was only a matter of time before it became contaminated with lice.  Yep my friends, some of the sisters that came in this week brought us lice.  Specifically, brought me lice.  It was a slightly (I maybe freaked out a little bit...) traumatic and dramatic situation that is currently under control.  Lesson learned-- there is nothing like strengthening companionship unity than through performing lice treatments on the other person at 2 AM.

We had a cool lesson this week with one of our new amis.  His name is Baba and is from Senegal (sidenote: listen to the names of some of our amis/potentials... Baba, Babakar, Fodabalba, Mamadou, Magda, Zenaida.  You'd think I was serving in Africa or something).  Anyways, he came in and was so open, he said he was searching for the truth.  We explained to him about our purpose as missionaries and what he would need to do to know for himself.  He said that he was will to try "to the end" (until he gets an answer).

Lots of our amis are great, but dropping off the face of the planet, going out of town for long periods of time, or facing hardcore oppostion.  It's really sad.  We're kind of in the "finding stage" at the moment.

Sis Hulme with Sister Hutchins
We ported into a woman this week who is 103 years old!  She lived by herself, wasn't on any medication, and could walk, talk, and hear.  Oh my gosh, my mind was blown.

Apparently we have this other cool amie that I've never met.  At the beginning of last transfer we contacted this lady who was muslim and not interested.  So, we asked her if she knew anyone else who could be.  She gave us the name of her friend but we were never able to make contact with her. (this is where the story gets a bit fuzzy for me) A couple weeks ago, Soeur Hutchins called this friend and set up a rendez-vous.  Her name is Sonia, she's 40 and has four kids.  She understands everything taught and cries every time we pray.  Today there was another lesson with her where she brought one of her friends.  I'm super excited about her...if she is real.  Soeur Hutchins and I joke that she's a made up amie because she has been taught four times but I have never been there because they've all been on exchanges.  For all I know, Soeur Hutchins could be just pretending that we have amis.  Haha, probably not true.  Maybe I'll meet my amie on her baptism day...maybe.

I'm really grateful for my mission and all of the opportunities I have to grow.  There's nothing like a mission to point out and make you blatantly aware of all your weaknesses, while also giving you the motivation, the desire, and the tools needed to change.  In 1 Corinthians 12 it says, "For my strength is made perfect in weakness.  Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me...for when I am weak, then am I strong."  The Lord is working hard with me and allowing me to make the very most out of this short experience.  I'm so happy and grateful.  I love being a missionary!

I love you all.  Congrats Ben on receiving your Eagle, so cool!  Have a great week!

Je vous aime,
Soeur Alisa Hulme

No comments:

Post a Comment