Monday, January 27, 2014

"No wonder our mission is the second most expensive mission in the world." 1/27/14

Bonjour Ma Famille,

Oh my goodness, what a wonderful and crazy week.  I feel like I'm just trying to get my feet under me.  But, I'm very happy and am loving life...as usual.  I guess I'll start by answering some of your questions.  Soeur Stevens and I are over all the West and Southwestern parts of the mission.  I can give you villes, but I'm not sure they'll mean anything to you... Bordeaux, Angouleme, Limoges, Toulouse, Montauban, Pau, Tarbes, and Bayonne.  We do exchanges with about twenty sisters every transfer which will keep us super busy.  But, we still have our own sector that we're over, which is Talence (the subsurbs of Bordeaux).  We'll be traveling quite a bit but are still expected to keep up everything here.  Talence is really great and has an extremely strong ward.  It's not as beautiful as the city itself, but our appartment is only a ten minute walk from the heart of Bordeaux.  All of our P-Days will definitely be spent there.  It's incredible!  I absolutely love my companion.  We get along so so well and have already become great friends.  It's really cool to work with someone who has been out longer, I feel like I'm learning so much from her and am getting tons of new ideas. And, I finally have a companion who runs with me every morning so there is no more running circles in parks.

I'm super excited because when we finish here today we're going out to Lyon for Jedi Council (AKA: Leadership Conference) with the other STL's and zone leaders.  And...WE'RE FLYING!  Crazy, right?  I thought the next plane I'd be on would be back to Salt Lake.  But, apparently they always fly the leaders from Bordeaux out to this conference because it's far.  Should be sweet.  No wonder our mission is the second most expensive mission in the world (next to Tokyo).  Oh well, I'll let you know how it goes. 

This week was lots of planning and organizing for the transfer, but there were some great highlights.  First and foremost, American Night!  We had this huge ward activity that the missionaries have been planning for weeks and it was all focused on, yes, America.  French people are obsessed with America, so it was perfect.  There were tons of American classics, including Coke floats (in place of rootbeer because they don't sell it here in France).  All of the members thought they were super bizarre.  I guess it never hit me what a strange concept it was.  There was also square dancing, which we were all kind of against (because no one in America really does that).  But, apparently French people all think that is what we do at all our dances.  It ended up being a total hit, I've never seen people get more into it.  Musical chairs, karoke, guessing famous American movies, a pizza contest (since Americans eat lots of it and we kind of just steal everyone else's food ideas), etc.  All of the prizes were authentic American classics, including the million, perfectly soft cookies that Soeur Stevens and I made (when we realized that the other person was a master at the delicate art, we knew we would have a successful companionship).  The night was perfect, a total success.  We sparked all of the members, who said that it was the best ward activity they could remember.  In addition, we had 10 amis there who members had invited.  Such a miracle and we're starting to work with some of them.

Cool sidenote miracles, Besancon basically exploded yesterday.  Three of the chronic less-actives that we had been working with for months came to church yesterday.  I had never seen any of them in the building and neither had anyone else for years.  I LOVE less-active work and we did so much of it there.  It's cool to get to hear of some results even if I was never there to witness the reactivation.

We started teaching several new people this week as well.  Miracles are happening all over the place.  I love being a missionary and feel so so blessed to be serving here.  This will be a fantastic transfer.  I love you all, have a great week!

Je vous aime,
Soeur Alisa Hulme

No comments:

Post a Comment